Monday, May 12, 2008

The Writing Muse

Mine, at least, must be female. Why do I say that, you ask? Because it's so fickle.

She jumps into my thoughts at the most inopportune times when I've no time to be productive and when I'm at the keyboard with all the time in the world she decides to go out for a walk. And her step-brother, Ambition, usually decides to take a nap.

This doesn't happen all the time but more often than not. I suppose it might have something to do with having no deadline to meet or being in need of the funds I potentially could earn if I actually sold something. But is that really my fault? :-)

I suppose, if I could shut out all the other distractions, she might be willing to get down to some serious work. Then again she hates to get down to any serious research which really slows down the process.

What's a writer to do when they have a clunky muse? Is there any place to exchange an old one for a new one? Can they be reprogrammed or are you stuck with the one you're born with?

So many questions -- so few answers -- so little time.

No comments: