Saturday, October 13, 2007

Gone Phishing

Scam artists have been phishing via email for some time now with all sorts of scenarios to trick you out of your private information. And unfortunately, a large enough percentage of people still bite on these lures making it profitable for the scammers to keep trying.

It needs to be remembered that any site you are registered with will not email you and ask you for your username or password. And any email they do send you will usually address you by name: info that phishers could not possibly have.

Recently I had an incident with the phishers other tactic. They call you on the phone if you are listed in the book and try to get info from you. The automated caller claimed to be with MasterCard and told me my rates were about to change and to press 9 to speak with a rep who would explain it all to me. It pains me to think that some percentage of people are naive enough to fall for this. First: I have more than one card with different banks whose rates are different and set by each bank. Second: any changes to your rates will be mailed to you with your monthly statement well in advance. They will not waste time and money with the phone unless there is a serious problem with your account. I was tempted to talk to this rep and see just how much bullshit I could lay on them before they hung up in disgust but it was late in the evening and I had other fish to fry.

All I can say is that if anyone calls you or emails you for your info tell them nothing. The only time you will need to give them your info is if you contact them first through their website or call the phone number on the back of your card and not some link in an email or a phone call from them. If one of your accounts should call you they will address you by name and tell you a portion of your account number once you identify yourself.

So be aware and be safe.

No comments: